Happy Asian Pacific Heritage Month! April flew by with a fierceness, but in good ways! Read on for a brief reportback on April events, then see what’s up for this May-June!
First, some quick Reportbacks and shoutouts: National Poetry Month kicked off with a performance at El Rio with a unique lineup of comedians, singers and bands at HeART to Help Japan Benefit. Then, the long-awaited Our Daily Bread World Premiere with Deep Waters Dance Theater brought the house down at at CounterPULSE at 8 packed shows, April 14-24. I was honored to contribute my poetic text, voice and performance to the show after working with Tabor Smith since its early days in 2008. Check out this blog at Hyphen Magazine by Joy Tang, in which the director Ellen Sebastian Chang and I were interviewed at length, and here’s a dance review at SFBG. If you missed these shows, I will be making an appearance at La Pena’s May 22 excerpt showing, after which I’ll shift my focus to my project, the multidisciplinary play, A History of the Body. Last – the month closed with a bright show of elements, flashing cameras and funds for eco-justice at the FAJ (Filipino Advocates for Justice) Eco-Fashion Show, which was my first (and perhaps only!) stint on the catwalk: I must say it was a lot of fun sporting tailored-to-fit recycled-material dresses!
And that was just April! Here’s what’s up next: performances and my next workshop, In this Skin! Read on through the Announcements, as I’m actively booking, seeking an assistant/intern, and inviting donations to send me to a playwriting residency, where I’ll finish a draft of my play!
Peace, poetry & perserverance! Aimee
EVENTS THIS MONTH:
- Thursday May 12, 7-8pm: CSUMB: Featured performance for their first Asian /Pacific Islander Month celebration, Monterey, CA
- Sunday May 15, 4-7pm: Rhymes and Rhythms with Avotcja, Nancy Hom, Genny Lim, Aimee Suzara, and more, at the Manilatown Center, SF.
- Sunday May 22: Quilting Circle (5-7) and Excerpts of Our Daily Bread (7-9) at La Pena, Berkeley.
EVENTS NEXT MONTH:
- June 12, 2-5pm: In This Skin (date changed!), writing and performance workshop at Oakland Asian Cultural Center. Open to all! Discounts available at request.
- Save the Date: June 20 poetry reading: Mills and other MFA graduates.
– BOOKING: Do you live out of town? Connect me to folks in your area!!! I want to visit you and bring my poetry your way!
- Seeking an Assistant(s)/Interns! See job descriptions below.
- Help me attend the Atlantic Center Playwriting Residency: DONATE TODAY at Paypal so I can finish my play, A History of the Body!